Golden Retrievers are a beloved breed known for their big hearts and outgoing personalities. But they’re also known for being energetic and strong, which means it’s important to find a harness that can handle their sprightliness while providing comfort and support.
When looking for the best dog harness for your Golden Retriever, you need to consider durability, adjustability, and safety features.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll look at some of the top options on the market for Golden Retriever owners, highlighting their key features and benefits.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Types of Dog Harnesses
- 2 14 Best Harnesses For Golden Retrievers
- 2.1 Best Overall Harness: Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- 2.2 Best Budget Harness: Copatchy No Pull Dog Harness
- 2.3 Best Premium Harness: Chai’s Choice Harness
- 2.4 Best Stylish Harness: BARKBAY No-Pull Dog Harness
- 2.5 Best Light-Up Harness: DOMI Light-Up Dog Harness
- 2.6 Second Best Light-up Dog Harness: Noxgear LightHound LED Dog Harness
- 2.7 Best Training Harness: The Original SENSE-ation No-Pull Dog Training Harness
- 2.8 Best Long-Wearing Harness: RUFFWEAR Front Range Everyday No-Pull Dog Harness
- 2.9 Best Adjustable Harness: EzyDog Quick Fit Adjustable Harness
- 2.10 Best Minimal Design: PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness
- 2.11 Best for Golden Retriever Puppies: PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness
- 2.12 Best All-Rounder Harness: Juxzh Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness
- 2.13 Second Best All-Rounder Harness: PetSafe 3-in-1 Dog Harness
- 2.14 Best for Big Dogs: HDP Big Dog No-Pull Harness
- 3 How To Measure A Golden Retriever For A Harness
- 4 Should Golden Retrievers Wear Harnesses?
- 5 How To Choose The Right Harness For A Golden Retriever
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Final Thoughts
The Types of Dog Harnesses
One of the hardest aspects of finding a dog harness is wrapping your head around all the different types out there. There are many types of harnesses for dogs available on the market, each with its own unique features and intended uses.
To make your shopping experience easier, here are some of the most common types of harnesses to choose from:
Back-clip harnesses attach to the dog’s back. This can provide more freedom of movement and comfort for the dog. They’re generally suitable for walking and running and are known to distribute the pressure more evenly across the dog’s body.
As the name suggests, this type of harness attaches to the dog’s chest. This type of harness can also make it easier to control your dog and reduce pulling, making it a popular option for walking and training. This harness features a front leash attachment to help redirect your dog’s movement.
No-pull harnesses are specifically designed for particularly active dogs that pull on the leash. It has a front-clip attachment that redirects the dog’s motion. When the dog pulls, the no-pull dog harness tightens to discourage it.
This type of harness is typically used on service dogs. Vest harnesses provide extra protection and support for dogs that need to be in working condition. They also usually have a sign on them that identifies them as service animals.
Step-in harnesses are made to be easy to put on and take off. They’re perfect for dogs that don’t take too kindly to having something put over their head and around their neck.
As the name suggests, a light-up dog harness is a type of harness that is equipped with LED lights to make your dog more visible during low-light conditions, such as during early morning or nighttime walks. The LED lights are powered by rechargeable batteries and come in a variety of different colors and flashing modes.
14 Best Harnesses For Golden Retrievers
Now that we’ve covered the different types of harnesses, we can get into which harnesses are the best for Golden Retrievers.
Here we break down the best harnesses for Golden Retrievers and highlight their key features and benefits.
Best Overall Harness: Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
The Rabbitgoo dog harness was pretty much made for Golden Retrievers that like to pull. It’s adjustable, has two metal leash attachments for extra control, and is arguably the best no-pull harness for a Golden. The front attachment is designed to discourage pulling behavior by turning the dog’s head around instead of allowing them to pull forward.
Once your dog is past their pulling days, the back attachment can be used for more relaxed activities such as walking, jogging, or hiking. The Rabbitgoo dog harness is easy to put on and take off and has four adjustable straps that ensure a bespoke fit. It’s made of durable nylon oxford and has soft cushion padding to protect the dog’s skin.
It also has a breathable air mesh that provides much-needed comfort and allows for proper ventilation. Additionally, this dog harness has reflective strips for added visibility and safety during night-time walks.
- Hand washable
- Available in different colors
- No-pull and no-choke harness with two metal leash attachment points
- Dual leash attachments
- Secure fit
- Easy-on and off overhead harness
- The strap occasionally requires adjusting
Best Budget Harness: Copatchy No Pull Dog Harness
If you do your research, then there’s no reason why you can’t find a reasonably priced Golden Retriever harness.
For those who are looking to save, The Copatchy harness is a budget-friendly option that doesn’t sacrifice quality. It’s equipped with soft sponge padding and breathable mesh to ensure comfort for your dog during a rigorous game of fetch.
This harness is easy to put on and has adjustable straps for a custom fit. It also has a handle on the back, providing instant control and added support for injured, senior, or handicapped dogs.
With five color options to choose from, it’s a good pick! However, it does lack a front leash attachment point, which may make it less effective for controlling pulling behavior.
- Sponge-filled padding
- Fully adjustable to ensure a bespoke fit
- Leash attachment point on the back
- Available in 6 sizes
- Very easy to put on and only requires you to clip it around your dog’s head and chest
- Handle for better control
- No front leash attachment point
Best Premium Harness: Chai’s Choice Harness
The Chai’s Choice Harness is the very definition of a premium harness. It boasts an ergonomic design that is comfortable for your dog to wear daily. It also features soft sponge padding and lightweight mesh for breathability. The harness is also incredibly stylish and comes in a variety of fun colors to match your dog’s personality!
This harness has more than one leash attachment point, a zinc-alloy ring on the back, and a zinc-alloy ring on the chest. It also includes a handle on the back for gaining instant control or for assisting injured or handicapped dogs with walking, climbing stairs, or standing.
The Chai’s Choice Harness is great for keeping your dog safe while traveling in your vehicle. The handle on the back allows you to loop the seatbelt through for added security.
- Two leash attachment points
- Handle on the back for firm control and safety during traveling
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Reflective trim
- Made of scratch-resistant material
- Available in 9 colors
- Has two leash attachment points
- Plush sponge padding
- Lightweight and easy to put on
- Plastic buckles can become sharp
Best Stylish Harness: BARKBAY No-Pull Dog Harness
The BARKBAY Dog Harness is available in 13 different colors and patterns, making it the most stylish harness for your Golden.
Made with a breathable mesh body and rip-resistant nylon straps, it’s designed to handle strong leash pullers. To discourage pulling, it has a leash clip on the chest and back, though the clips may not be suitable for the strongest pullers.
The harness is reasonably priced and is considered a high-quality product by many customers. It can be machine washed, but hand washing is recommended for the best results. Four adjustment points provide ample adjustability for a perfect fit, and the durable nylon straps feature reflective stitching for safety in low-light conditions.
- Leash clip on the chest and back
- Four adjustment points for a perfect fit
- Durable nylon straps with reflective stitching
- Available in multiple colors
- Reasonably priced
- Easily washable
- Padded for extra comfort
- Leash attachments aren’t particularly strong
- Tends to trap body heat in hot weather
Best Light-Up Harness: DOMI Light-Up Dog Harness
Keeping your dog visible during low-light conditions is important, and a light-up LED harness is a great way to do so!
The DOMI Light Up Dog Harness uses a rechargeable USB battery with two different flash modes, steady glow or fast flashing. A full charge will provide 6-8 hours of glow time on fast flash mode or 3-4 hours on steady glow.
This harness is no-pull, comfortable, breathable, lightweight, and padded. It also has a back clip for attaching a leash, fast-release buckles for easy on and off, and adjustable Velcro tabs on the chest and neck for a proper fit.
It’s also worth mentioning that the USB battery can be removed for easy washing. Plus, the harness comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Rechargeable via USB
- Micro USB charging cable included
- Adjustable Velcro tabs on the chest and neck
- Available in 4 colors
- Fast-release buckles
- Removable battery
- Illuminates for up to 8 hours
- Padded and breathable for optimal comfort
- Not the brightest, according to user reviews
- Isn’t waterproof
Second Best Light-up Dog Harness: Noxgear LightHound LED Dog Harness
The Noxgear LightHound Harness is designed to keep your dog safe during nighttime walks or adventures. Instead of traditional reflective strips, it features LED lighting that provides 360-degree illumination, making the dog visible from over half a mile away.
The harness is charged via USB, and one charge can give you up to 12 hours of illumination. The LED light has eight different color settings, including six different multicolor and slow-fading modes.
Despite its lighting features, this is still considered a lightweight harness. It has a single leash attachment point on the back. However, the harness is thin, which may not be suitable for stronger dogs who are prone to pulling.
- Lightweight and comfortable design
- 360-degree illumination
- Rechargeable via USB
- Durable and adjustable, with a single leash attachment point on the back
- Machine washable
- Fully adjustable
- Good nighttime visibility
- Not the best for controlling pulling dogs
Best Training Harness: The Original SENSE-ation No-Pull Dog Training Harness
The Original SENSE-ation No-Pull Dog Training Harness is an excellent choice for training Golden Retrievers. The unique design of the harness features a chest strap that tightens when the dog pulls, discouraging pulling behavior.
The bottom strap is made of custom Softouch polyester webbing to provide extra comfort while on walks and training. The harness also features steel O-rings for added support and a front attachment point that helps teach your Golden Retriever to walk beside you. You can also pick from a variety of colors to match your dog’s personality!
Overall, the Original SENSE-ation No-Pull Dog Training Harness is an excellent training tool for your Golden Retriever!
- Designed for positive reinforcement training
- Nickel-coated steel O-ring
- Features Softouch polyester webbing
- Front leash attachment
- Available in a variety of colors and sizes
- Durable harness
- Front-leash attachment that helps teach your dog to walk beside you
- Front leash attachment
- Doesn’t stop leash pulling 100%
Best Long-Wearing Harness: RUFFWEAR Front Range Everyday No-Pull Dog Harness
If you need a harness for everyday use and prolonged wearing, look no further than the RUFFWEAR Harness! Its durable construction and sturdy materials make it well-suited to withstand the wear and tear of regular use.
The harness features two leash attachment points, one on the front to reduce pulling, and one on the back for casual walks, jogs, and hiking.
This harness is designed for all-day comfort, with foam padding on the chest and belly to prevent chafing. As expected, it’s easy to put on and take off. It also features four adjustable points for a perfect fit.
The harness also has a reflective trim to keep your dog visible at night. It also comes in a variety of bright colors for daytime visibility and has a storage pocket for keeping your dog’s ID tags safe and secure.
- Reflective trim
- Foam padding across the belly and chest
- Four adjustment points for a customized fit
- ID tag pocket
- Two leash attachment points
- Reinforced webbing leash loop on the chest
- Distributes weight evenly
- Great for pullers
- Easy to put on and take off
- Available in various bright colors
- Unbuckling can be tricky
Best Adjustable Harness: EzyDog Quick Fit Adjustable Harness
The EzyDog Quick Fit Adjustable Harness features a more structured chest strap design, which may limit its adjustability but makes it easy to put on and remove once you find the right fit for your dog.
This dog harness maintains its shape when not in use, avoiding the hassle of dealing with tangled straps. It also includes neoprene padding for added comfort and has a leash attachment on the back, which helps to protect your dog’s throat.
Made of water-resistant material and reflective trim, the harness is designed for safety in low-light conditions. It also comes in a variety of colors, but not all sizes may be available for adult Golden Retrievers.
- Ridgid design
- Reflective trim
- Water-resistant material
- Leash attachment points on the back to protect the dog’s throat
- Retains shape when not in use to avoid tangled straps
- May not be suitable for some broad-chested Goldens
Best Minimal Design: PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness
The PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness is designed to prevent pulling in a simple and clever way. The front leash attachment sits on your dog’s chest and steers them towards the owner when they start pulling.
Unlike other harnesses, it doesn’t have straps around the dog’s neck, which eliminates the risk of gagging or choking.
This harness is made of durable nylon and has four adjustment points for a secure fit. You also have neoprene padding for optimal comfort and highly reflective strips for added visibility. The contrasting band color on the belly makes it easy to determine the correct strap placement.
The Deluxe Easy Walk Harness is a great option for keeping your dog comfortable in a minimalistic design!
- Padded with neoprene
- Four adjustment points
- Highly reflective strips
- Made of high-quality nylon
- Available in four colors
- No excess bulk
- Chest leash attachment to prevent pulling
- Easily fits most dogs
- Loosens with vigorous pulling
Best for Golden Retriever Puppies: PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness
The last thing that you want is to have to buy another harness because your pooch has outgrown theirs. This is where the PoyPet No-Pull Dog Harness comes in handy! It’s an ideal choice for Golden Retriever puppies as it’s able to grow with them. Plus, it comes at an affordable price!
The harness boasts multiple points of adjustment and comes in sizes from XS to XL. It has leash attachment points on the top and front to discourage pulling, and a neoprene handle for picking up the puppy. The padded mesh body is flexible and comfortable, with lockable buckles to ensure your puppy can’t slip out once it’s strapped in.
It may not be the most durable harness, but it’s a good option for getting your pup used to walking on a leash.
- Suitable for puppies
- Lockable buckles
- Neoprene padding
- Fully adjustable
- Relatively inexpensive
- Available in 25 different colors
- May not suit a very active dog
Best All-Rounder Harness: Juxzh Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness
The Juxzh Truelove dog harness was made for people who like a bit of everything. It’s a versatile and comfortable option for your Golden Retriever to wear during any activity. It features two leash attachment points, reflective material, a back handle, and breathable mesh.
The harness is fully adjustable, easy to put on and take off, and has soft sponge padding on the chest and belly to prevent chafing. It’s made of durable, scratch-resistant oxford material and nylon webbing and has a reflective material that provides plenty of visibility at night.
The sturdy handle can also be used as a seatbelt attachment for added safety while riding in the car.
Your Golden Retriever is sure to love the comfort of this harness, and you’ll definitely appreciate its durable construction and safety features.
- Ergonomic design
- Soft padding on the chest and belly
- Two attachment points
- Mesh Lining
- Strong handle
- Evenly distributes your dog’s weight
- Available in 11 stylish colors
- Plastic buckles
Second Best All-Rounder Harness: PetSafe 3-in-1 Dog Harness
The PetSafe 3-in-1 Dog Harness is designed to combat pulling effectively. Thanks to its reinforced chest strap featuring a built-in D-ring, known as a Martingale Loop design, it helps redirect pulling force to the side.
The harness lets you connect the leash on the back and has a control handle that can also be used as a seatbelt loop for optimal safety while traveling. It also has five adjustment points to ensure the best fit, and the lightly padded straps provide comfort and minimize chafing.
Though it may be difficult to put on your dog initially, it’s made to be comfortable, even in hot weather. PetSafe also offers a two-point control leash that clips to both the chest and back rings, which is sold separately.
- Reinforced chest strap
- Car-safe dog harness
- Back leash attachment and control handle
- Five adjustment points
- Optional two-point control leash
- Comfortable in hot weather
- Designed to reduce pulling
- Features a handle on the back for better control
- Can cause chafing if not properly fitted
Best for Big Dogs: HDP Big Dog No-Pull Harness
The HDP Big Dog No-Pull Harness is an excellent choice for bigger Golden Retrievers. Thanks to the durable construction and extra-wide chest padding, it can handle the strength and energy of a big Golden Retriever.
The no-choke design and chest attachment points evenly distribute pressure and are great for controlling pulling behavior.
The leash ring on this harness is positioned at the top to give the dog maximum freedom of movement. The harness is also easy to put on and take off, thanks to its simple, secure buckle.
You also have a sturdy handle on the back of the harness for better control while walking, training, or playing.
- No-choke design
- Extra-wide chest padding
- Sturdy handle on the back
- Top handle for better control
- Leash ring positioned at the top for maximum freedom of movement
- Extra-wide chest padding and durable construction make it easy to control bigger dogs
- No front attachment
How To Measure A Golden Retriever For A Harness
Measuring a Golden Retriever for a harness is an important step in ensuring that the harness fits properly and is comfortable for your dog to wear. Because some pooches are antsier compared to others, it’s vital that you exercise patience during the process. We recommend distracting your dog with its favorite treat!
Here are four quick steps to help you measure your canine companion:
- Girth measurement: The girth measurement is taken around the widest part of the dog’s chest, typically behind the front legs. Use a soft tape measure or a piece of string to measure this area, and make sure it is snug but not too tight.
- Length measurement: Some harnesses may also require a length measurement, which is taken from the base of the dog’s head to the base of the tail. Use a tape measure or a piece of string to measure this distance.
- Compare to the sizing chart: Compare the measurements you took to the sizing chart provided by the manufacturer with the harness that’s captured your eye. Make sure to choose a size that will fit your Golden Retriever comfortably.
- Try it on: Once you’ve selected the appropriate size, put the harness on your Golden Retriever and adjust the straps to fit snugly. It’s important to ensure that the harness is not too tight or loose, as this can cause discomfort or reduce the effectiveness of the harness.
Should Golden Retrievers Wear Harnesses?
Because this is likely to be a question many people will ask, we’ll answer it for you. Here are seven reasons why Golden Retrievers should be wearing harnesses:
- Helps you control your dog betterHarnesses are meant to be worn over a dog’s body; the advantage of this is that it provides better control of the dog’s movements. You’ll have better control over your dog, regardless of whether it’s a strap harness or a chest harness.
- Discourages pullingWhen using a combination of a collar and a leash, dogs tend to pull forward, and this behavior is not likely to stop without the need for intervention. Using a harness can redirect this pulling to the side or turn the dog around, effectively discouraging the dog from continuing to pull.
- Prevents injuries to your dog’s neckA collar and leash can put a lot of strain on a dog’s head. More often than not, the result of that strain is an injury. Harnesses can distribute the strain across your Golden Retriever’s chest and back, alleviating neck pressure.
- Harnesses are harder for dogs to escape fromIf you have a particularly rambunctious pooch, then you may know that all-too-familiar feeling of constantly having to form peace agreements with them. This might not necessarily happen with adult Golden Retrievers, but some dogs can wiggle their heads out of a collar.This sort of behavior generally only tends to get worse when a pooch does it successfully. Because harnesses fit around the dog’s body, it makes it impossible to wiggle out of it and take off.
- Reduces the chances of your dog chokingThe lack of pressure around your dog’s neck means you won’t have to worry about your pooch choking or gagging.
- Supports injured and older dogsHarnesses with a handle on the back can provide extra support for your Golden Retriever to assist them in climbing stairs, standing up, and walking. This can be especially helpful for older dogs that may need additional help with mobility, as well as dogs that are recovering from injury or surgery and may be unable to walk due to medication.
- Not having to worry about tanglingA leash and collar always present a chance of either you or your pup becoming entangled. This is often the case with high-energy dogs, and unfortunately for Golden owners, their dogs are indeed high-energy dogs. If you use a harness, it’ll become much harder for your dog to tangle you up.
How To Choose The Right Harness For A Golden Retriever
Before you settle on a particular harness, there are some considerations that have to be made.
Consulting a professional trainer or vet before choosing a harness can make the process easier. This is because they’ll generally have the expertise to ensure you’re getting the best option for your furry companion.
If you can’t get ahold of a professional, here are some things to consider:
The reality is that this is the place that most people have to start with when considering a purchase. While you’re likely to find a wide variety of harnesses for Golden Retrievers, you’ll also find that the higher-end ones can be quite pricey. Fret not, as there are a number of good options available at a reasonable price.
If you’ve looked in stores but still can’t find something in your price range, consider shopping for a deal online or buying one second-hand. If you take the online route, ensure you know your dog’s exact measurements before making a purchase.
Size & Fit
Make sure to measure your dog’s girth (around the widest part of the chest) and choose a harness that is the right size for your dog. A harness that is too tight can be uncomfortable, and one that is too loose can be ineffective. Golden Retriever puppies will typically fit well in a medium or large harness.
Look for a harness made of breathable, non-toxic materials that are comfortable for your dog to wear, such as soft padded straps. Avoid harnesses with sharp edges or rough surfaces that may rub or chafe against your dog’s skin.
Type of clip
As mentioned before, front-clip harnesses can be better for controlling pulling, while back-clip harnesses can be more comfortable for walking and running. No-pull harnesses are designed specifically for dogs that pull on the leash, making them a great option to nip that behavior in the bud.
Trust us, the last thing that you’d want is to invest your hard-earned cash in a substandard harness. Be sure to seek out harnesses that are well-constructed and made with quality materials. Avoid flimsy or cheaply made harnesses that may break or wear out quickly.
Look for features such as reflective materials or lights, especially if you are planning to walk or run with your Golden Retriever at night.
It’s essential that the harness is comfortable for your Golden Retriever to wear. The harness you choose should not rub, scratch, or cause any discomfort to your furry friend.
Will harnesses cause any health issues in my Golden Retriever?
Harnesses are generally considered a safe and effective way to control and restrain dogs. When properly fitted and used, harnesses shouldn’t cause any health issues in your Golden Retriever.
However, if a harness is too tight, it can cause irritation or sores to your dog’s skin or restrict their breathing. If a harness is too loose, it can move around too much, causing chafing or not providing enough control.
How often should I replace my Golden Retriever’s harness?
This will largely come down to the quality of the harness and how often it’s used. However, as a general guideline, you should check your dog’s harness for any signs of wear and tear and replace it as needed. You should consider replacing the harness if:
- The straps are frayed or showing signs of wear
- The buckles or snaps are not working properly
- The harness is stretched out or no longer fits properly
- You notice any cracks or holes forming in the harness
- The material becomes brittle
Are dog harnesses suitable for walking, running, or training?
Luckily for dog owners with an active lifestyle, harnesses are indeed suitable for walking, running, and training. A front harness is a popular option for walking and training, as it attaches the leash to the chest rather than the back. This helps to reduce pulling and makes it easier to control the dog.
Finding the right harness for a Golden Retriever can be a daunting task with the wide variety of options available on the market.
You can rest assured that with any of the above picks, you and your Golden will enjoy many happy walks! One pick we highly recommend is the Rabbitgoo Dog Harness. It minimizes pulling, provides your dog with optimal comfort, and is made of the best quality.
And with that concludes our list of the best harnesses for Golden Retrievers. If you’re preparing to welcome your new furry friend home, you’re going to need a comfortable crate for them too! So check out the best crate for Golden Retriever puppy!
Curious to learn more about this fantastic breed? You can learn everything you want to know at barksinthepark.co.