Imagine this: You’re relaxing on your couch when your Golden Retriever comes over and gives you a snuggle. But when you ruffle its fur and plant a kiss on its sweet little head, you realize that your dog stinks! Reluctantly, you go and run a bath and begin the inevitable game of ‘catch me if you can.’
If you own a Golden Retriever, this scenario is all too real, and bathtime can sometimes be just as traumatic for you as it is for your pooch. Fortunately, there’s a way to make bathtime less stressful and perhaps even enjoyable for your beloved Rufus. And that’s by using great shampoo!
Good dog shampoos can help to relieve your dog of itching or inflamed skin, untangle painful mats, and control pests and parasites that cause discomfort. By using one of our top shampoos on your Golden Retriever, you can help to change your canine’s attitude toward its monthly wash!
Table of Contents
- 1 11 Best Dog Shampoos For Golden Retrievers
- 1.1 1) Best For Dog’s Skin: Pawstruck Aloe & Oatmeal Shampoo
- 1.2 2) Best Alternative: Pawstruck Keto-C Anti-Itch Medicated Shampoo
- 1.3 3) Best For Shedding: Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
- 1.4 4) Best Alternative: TropiClean Lime & Coconut Shed Control Shampoo
- 1.5 5) Best For Whitening: Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Shampoo
- 1.6 6) Best Alternative: Lillian Ruff Ultra-Brightening Professional Whitening Shampoo
- 1.7 7) Best For Detangling: TropiClean Perfect Fur Dog Shampoo
- 1.8 8) Best Alternative: We Love Doodles Dog Shampoo, Conditioner, and Detangler
- 1.9 9) Best 2-in-1: Burt’s Bees for Dogs
- 1.10 10) Best Alternative: Earthbath 2-in-1 Conditioning Shampoo
- 1.11 11) Best For Puppies: BioSilk Silk Therapy Puppy Tearless Shampoo
- 2 Buyer’s Guide For Shampoo For Golden Retrievers
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Final Thoughts
11 Best Dog Shampoos For Golden Retrievers
With hundreds and thousands of doggie shampoos on the market, finding the perfect shampoo for Golden Retrievers can seem next to impossible. But don’t fret! We’ve taken all the guesswork out of picking the best shampoo. All you have to do is pick the one you like and add it to your cart!
If you have multiple dogs or you’re looking for shampoos for other dog breeds, be sure to visit our homepage. We’ve got guides on every breed you can think of!
1) Best For Dog’s Skin: Pawstruck Aloe & Oatmeal Shampoo
Golden Retrievers are known for having a predisposition for sensitive skin. And while some cases of itchy skin can be solved by changing up your doggo’s diet and introducing the best dog food for Golden Retrievers, finding a good, soothing shampoo can work wonders.
But finding good dog shampoos that help to relieve irritation and itchy and dry skin that are actually effective can seem impossible! Luckily, Pawstruck has some of the best hypoallergenic dog shampoos on the market to help relieve skin allergies.
This gentle shampoo is made with soothing aloe vera and oatmeal for healthy skin and eliminates your dog’s need to scratch at itchy skin. When your Golden is itchy, constant scratching can cause open wounds and infections. If this has happened to your dog, making the switch to Pawstruck’s shampoo is a no-brainer.
Soaps can cause your dog’s skin to dry out, worsening existing skin irritation. With Pawstruck’s shampoo, you won’t need to worry anymore. It’s a completely soap-free shampoo that is safe to use with topical treatments and can be used as often as you like! So it’s also a great pick if your Goldie needs more frequent baths.
- Made with aloe and oatmeal: These ingredients help soothe irritated skin
- Good for sensitive skin: Less irritation means less itching and scratching – and a happier pup!
- Paraben and soap-free: Won’t dry out your dog’s skin
- Safe: It’s safe to use with topical treatments and won’t wash them away
- Contains oatmeal: Dogs who suffer from yeast infections shouldn’t use oatmeal-based shampoos
2) Best Alternative: Pawstruck Keto-C Anti-Itch Medicated Shampoo
If you’re surprised to see another Pawstruck product on this list, don’t be! Like we said: Pawstruck is the go-to brand for dogs with sensitive skin. While the Pawstruck Aloe & Oatmeal is a great choice for general skin issues, this dog shampoo helps tackle more aggressive problems like skin infections.
This antifungal and antibacterial dog shampoo is a great choice for dogs that suffer from dry skin or skin allergies. It contains several fatty acids, aloe vera, and vitamin E to replenish the skin’s natural oils and nourish the skin.
Pawstruck’s Keto-C shampoo is also medicated with active ingredients chlorhexidine and ketoconazole. This helps to help relieve conditions like bacterial and fungal infections and hotspots caused by nasty parasites like ticks and fleas. It can even be used on cats to provide relief from inflamed skin!
If you’re going to use this dog shampoo, it’s important to read the directions for use. Overusing medicated shampoos can cause long-term skin and health issues for your Golden Retriever. And if you’re unsure of the best way to introduce the new bath product, you can always consult your local veterinarian.
- Antifungal and antibacterial: Helps eliminate common skin infections
- Medicated: This dog shampoo contains chlorhexidine and ketoconazole for extra protection against infection
- Good for skin allergies: Soothes and nourishes your dog’s coat and skin
- Contains natural ingredients: Replaces the need for harsh chemicals with effective and natural ingredients like Vitamin E
- It can get used up quickly: Requires regular bathing to maintain results
3) Best For Shedding: Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
Every Golden Retriever owner knows just how much they can shed! And while Golden Retriever puppies usually shed much less, there’s still a lot of loose hair that falls from their fluffy undercoat. If you’re tired of finding piles of dog hair scattered around your home, you aren’t alone. And all you need to control the problem is a great de-shedding dog shampoo!
Furminator’s de-shedding shampoo helps to keep unwanted shedding by releasing loose hairs from underneath their topcoat. Unlike other shampoos, where you have to use tons of shampoo before it sinks into your dog’s coat, it creates a good lather that works deep into the fur. And when you leave it to sit before rinsing it off, you’ll be shocked at how much fur washes away.
On top of reducing shedding, Furminator is one of the best shampoos for Golden Retrievers because of its formulation. It’s made with fatty acids like Omega 3 and 6 and contains papaya leaf, chamomile, and calendula extract. These natural ingredients work together to hydrate your dog’s sensitive skin and restore its coat.
- Safe: No harmful parabens or dyes
- Natural: Formulated with natural ingredients like organic aloe vera
- Effective: Effectively reduces shedding
- Nourishing: This Golden Retriever shampoo nourishes and conditions your dog’s coat
- Good for sensitive skin: Reduces flaky skin to eliminate itching
- Expensive: This dog shampoo is pricier than alternatives like the TropiClean Shed Control shampoo
4) Best Alternative: TropiClean Lime & Coconut Shed Control Shampoo
Although Furminator’s aloe dog shampoo is great at reducing shedding, we can all agree it’s a little pricey! So, if you want a cheaper alternative that is still super effective, then you need the TropiClean Shed Control shampoo!
TropiClean is the perfect dog shampoo for your Golden Retriever because it contains loads of natural ingredients that work together to exfoliate the skin. This helps to free loose hair and get rid of grime and dirt that gets trapped beneath the undercoat.
Organic ingredients like aloe, chamomile, and mallow extracts also leave your Golden Retriever feeling silky and soft. Plus, the gentle papaya and kiwi scents keep them smelling fresher for longer, which helps if your pooch spends a lot of time outdoors!
As any good natural dog shampoo should, TropiClean doesn’t use any parabens in its formula, and it’s entirely soap-free. This means it’s safe to use with topical treatments and won’t irritate their skin! This gentle shampoo is even mild enough to use on your Golden Retriever puppy.
We recommend using TropiClean’s Shed Control Conditioner on your Golden Retriever’s coat to boost the de-shedding effects and keep your home fluff-free for longer.
- Effective: Helps free loose hairs for less shedding
- Exfoliating: Gets rid of dry and flaky skin to eliminate scratching
- Natural: This dog shampoo uses natural ingredients to keep your dog safe and healthy
- Paraben and soap-free: No soap means less skin irritation and happier pups
- Safe: Safe to use for dogs over three months and can be used with topical treatments
- Doesn’t lather well: You may need to use extra shampoo to get to the roots of your Golden Retriever’s fur
5) Best For Whitening: Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Shampoo
Golden Retrievers are known for their bright, sleek coats. But, in true Golden Retriever fashion, your pup probably doesn’t stay clean for long. These naturally happy-go-lucky doggos love being outside, and it sometimes feels like they’re a magnet for mud and grime!
Taking that into account, one of the biggest challenges for Golden Retriever owners is keeping their pup’s coat clean. And it’s no secret that their fur is prone to staining. So, if you don’t want your yellow Goldie to end up looking like a chocolate Lab, you need whitening shampoo.
Veterinary Formula Snow White shampoo is the best dog shampoo for whitening and is specially formulated for pooches with lighter coats. It contains natural ingredients like green tea extract and Vitamin E to brighten coats without the use of bleaches and harmful peroxides. It’s also PH-balanced, so it’s safe to use on Golden Retrievers with sensitive skin.
This shampoo is great for pet parents on a budget. Not only is it super affordable, but it doubles as an odor-control shampoo for particularly smelly canines!
- PH-balanced: Protects your Golden Retriever’s skin
- Natural ingredients: Natural whitening effect using organic and pet-safe ingredients
- Immediate results: Give your Golden Retriever will have a lighter, brighter coat after just one wash
- Affordable: Veterinary quality for a fraction of the price
- Not ideal for tear stains: This shampoo should be kept away from the eyes, which limits its use for tear stains
6) Best Alternative: Lillian Ruff Ultra-Brightening Professional Whitening Shampoo
Is your Golden Retriever looking a little more brown than usual? We’ve all been there! Luckily, the Lillian Ruff Whitening shampoo is perfect for cleaning up yellowing and mud from your pup’s body, eyes, and mouth! It’s also a dual-use shampoo that helps to control matting and tangling, giving your doggo a smoother, fluffier coat.
This PH-balanced shampoo is great for sensitive skin and rinses easily to avoid leaving residue under thick coats. It also contains soothing aloe and moisturizing coconut oil to relieve hotspots and soothe red or inflamed skin from continuous scratching.
Whether you have multiple Golden Retrievers or you’re looking for a dog shampoo that you can use at any age, this is the ultimate bath-time product. The gentle formula can safely be used on Golden Retriever puppies, adults, and elders.
Some older Golden Retrievers are prone to facial stains. But the Veterinary Formula shampoo is limited to full-body use. If you want to get rid of unsightly tear stains to keep your Goldie looking fresh-faced, then the Lillian Ruff Whitening shampoo may be a better option.
- Great for dogs of all ages: You can use it as a puppy shampoo or full-body adult shampoo
- Can be used for dogs and cats: Great for households with multiple pets
- PH-balanced: It won’t irritate skin or cause dryness, itchiness, or flakiness
- Hydrating and deodorizing: Eliminate odors from your smelly pup while hydrating its skin and coat
- Whitening: Removes stains and yellowing from Golden Retriever coats
- Results are slow: It may take a few washes before stains and discoloration disappear
7) Best For Detangling: TropiClean Perfect Fur Dog Shampoo
The Golden Retriever has what’s commonly known as a ‘combination coat.’ This refers to coats that are longer in some areas yet short in others. Goldens also usually have soft waves or curls in certain areas, like their bellies, legs, and around their necks.
Because this gorgeous breed doesn’t have a completely straight or tightly curled coat, it’s hard to find a detangling shampoo that works for them. That’s where TropiClean’s Perfect Fur shampoo comes in. Specially formulated for dogs with combination coats, this shampoo guarantees a smooth coat that’s free of knots and tangles.
It’s also formulated to loosen shedding hair, deodorize pongy pets, and soothe and moisturize skin for a comfortable and happy pup. The natural ingredients are soap, paraben, and dye-free and work together to give your doggie the pampering it deserves.
Paired with a soft detangling brush, this shampoo can be used on dogs of all ages, and it’s even gentle enough for your puppy’s skin!
- Designed for Golden Retrievers: Specially formulated shampoo for dogs with combination coats
- All-natural: TropiClean uses natural ingredients for a safe and effective product
- Four-in-one: TropiClean is the best dog shampoo for deodorizing, moisturizing, detangling and de-shedding
- Good for dogs of all ages: It can be used safely for all life stages
- Doesn’t lather well: While the product is effective, you may need to use more as it doesn’t lather well
8) Best Alternative: We Love Doodles Dog Shampoo, Conditioner, and Detangler
Goldendoodles are a mix between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle. So it should come as no surprise that their gorgeous, curly coats share a lot of similarities with one of their parent breeds: The Goldie! They also share a lot of the same skin concerns and allergies as Goldens, which is what makes this product particularly interesting.
Marketed as a shampoo for all dog breeds, We Love Doodles dog shampoo is primarily based on formulations for Goldendoodles. But they’re just as effective on the purebred furbabies whose genetics they share.
This shampoo works like a charm and is great for keeping your pooch’s coat clean and tangle-free while also conditioning their fur and nourishing their skin. What’s more, the shampoo is vet-approved and can be used on Golden adults and puppies over three months!
Made from certified organic ingredients, you can rest easy knowing your dog is getting the best shampoo, with no added parabens, alcohol, synthetic dyes, or sulfates!
- Vet-approved: Tested and approved by vets as a safe and all-natural product
- Eco-friendly: No parabens, sulfates, formaldehyde, alcohol, or synthetic dyes No Chemical Foaming Agents.
- Four-in-one: cleans, conditions, detangles, and moisturizes your dog’s skin
- Safe for puppies: works for all dogs and puppies over 12 weeks
- Expensive: Pet parents on a budget may want to buy a cheaper alternative
9) Best 2-in-1: Burt’s Bees for Dogs
One of the biggest problems pet owners encounter is how expensive it is to wash their pets! Between sprays, shampoos, and conditioners, bathtime for your Golden Retriever can rack up quite a bill! And it’s especially true when your smelly pet needs more regular baths.
Budget-conscious pet parents will know just how much cheaper it is to buy a two-in-one shampoo and conditioner for their furkids. But the problem is… it’s not always the best shampoo quality. In fact, some two-in-one formulations are full of nasty and harmful ingredients!
Fortunately, Burt’s Bees for Dogs is the perfect answer for your dirty pup. This pH-balanced formula is full of beneficial ingredients like papaya & awapuhi (wild ginger). And after just one wash, it’s evident that this shampoo works.
The carefully curated recipe of natural ingredients is designed to soothe and moisturize your Golden Retriever’s skin and can be used on puppies and in conjunction with topical treatments!
- Trusted brand: Burt’s Bees is a household brand that everybody knows, trusts, and loves!
- Affordable: Unlike other brands where the price of buying shampoo and conditioner separately is equal to (or even cheaper) than a two-in-one product, Burt’s Bees is affordable for every pet paw-rent!
- Safe for all life stages: It can be used on all dogs over three months
- Moisturizing and soothing: Great for doggies with sensitive skin!
- Not specifically designed for Goldens: This product isn’t designed for Goldens, so it may cause small tangles. These are easily brushed out after bathtime, though!
10) Best Alternative: Earthbath 2-in-1 Conditioning Shampoo
Your Golden’s coat deserves better than the run-of-the-mill dog shampoos on the market. In fact, your Golden Retriever has delicate skin that needs to be protected and nourished as often as possible. And one of our favorite shampoos that does all that while also detangling and conditioning your pup’s coat is Earthbath.
This shampoo has a unique formulation and is made with aloe, vitamin E, coconut, and other all-natural ingredients. It contains no harmful or toxic ingredients and is soap, dye, alcohol, and paraben-free.
The formulation lathers well and is safe and PH-balanced for puppies and dogs over the age of twelve weeks. And if you have multiple four-legged babies running around your home, you’ll be pleased to know that it works great for cats, too! It can be used on cats and kittens over the age of six weeks.
- Made with all-natural ingredients: It contains beneficial ingredients that are natural and safe for all of your precious pets
- Great for dogs and cats: The ideal shampoo and conditioner for a multi-pet household!
- PH-balanced: Great for sensitive skin and allergies
- Good for dogs of all ages: It can be used on all dogs over twelve weeks (three months)
- Not ideal for deodorizing: This shampoo has a gentle scent that won’t work for extra-smelly dogs. We recommend using a deodorizing spray if you want a fresher-smelling pooch
11) Best For Puppies: BioSilk Silk Therapy Puppy Tearless Shampoo
You may have already noticed that we haven’t listed a ‘best alternative’ for this category. And that’s because BioSilk Silk Therapy is the only Golden Retriever shampoo you’ll ever need for your puppy!
Made from the same standard ingredients as BioSilk shampoo (yes, the one for humans!), this shampoo has been tweaked to suit your doggo’s needs. It contains healthy and beneficial ingredients like aloe, honey, vitamin E, and milk protein that are perfect for moisturizing your puppy’s sensitive ‘baby’ skin.
BioSilk’s shampoo is PH-balanced and is free from harsh ingredients like sulfates and parabens. So for any Golden pups that are experiencing ‘puppy dandruff,’ this is the go-to product to stop it in its tracks. It can also be used with topical treatments.
- Contains beneficial ingredients: Made from natural ingredients to nourish and moisturize your puppy’s skin
- Maintains your puppy’s coat: Keeps your puppy’s coat clean without stripping it of its natural oils
- Great for skin sensitivities: Gentle on sensitive, dry, itchy, and flaky skin
- Safe: Can be used with topical treatments and as a facial cleanser
- No scent: Doesn’t deodorize puppies
Buyer’s Guide For Shampoo For Golden Retrievers
Looking for shampoo for Golden Retrievers can be daunting. Just the thought of the hundreds of brands and multiple variations for different types of dog shampoos is enough to make your head spin! Although it can seem overwhelming, knowing which ingredients are beneficial for your dog can help you eliminate any cheap or poorly-formulated shampoos.
Firstly, hypoallergenic shampoos are ideal for all dog and coat types because they’re formulated with sensitive skin in mind. These dog shampoos also usually contain natural ingredients to soothe irritated skin. When it comes to dog safety: natural is always best!
Soothing ingredients like oatmeal, almond oil, aloe vera, and vitamin E are fantastic for Golden Retrievers that have dry, flaky, or itchy skin. These ingredients are nourishing and hydrating and work well to restore your dog’s coat.
It may be important to note that if your dog suffers from yeast infections or you suspect that their shampoo is causing these infections, you need to avoid oatmeal-based shampoos! Oatmeal can worsen yeast infections; they require veterinary intervention.
As any pet parent knows, keeping your dog safe and healthy is part of responsible ownership! That’s why it’s important to keep an eye out for potentially hazardous or harmful ingredients found in shampoo for Golden Retrievers.
Firstly, avoid any shampoos for Golden Retrievers that have synthetic fragrances or artificial ingredients. Artificial products can cause long-term health problems for some dogs, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Try to pick products with natural fragrances like chamomile or lavender. Remember to avoid mint dog shampoo that has been scented with essential oils. These are toxic and can cause allergic reactions on their skin. Other oils are safe and leave your dog smelling fresh. But it’s best to avoid mint dog shampoo at all costs.
You should also be careful to avoid shampoos that contain high concentrations of essential oils, as these can cause allergic reactions in some dogs. Small amounts of essential oil can be beneficial. But it may be wise to test these shampoos on a small patch of your dog’s skin to eliminate nasty surprises and expensive vet visits!
You’ll also want to avoid shampoos that use alcohol or L-sulphates. These are harsh chemicals that will dry and irritate the skin. In some cases, they may even burn your pup’s skin and cause open wounds.
Similarly, if you look at the ingredients list on the back of human shampoo, you’ll notice it may be formulated with cocamide DEA. But this ingredient is made from chemicals and can also cause severe reactions in dogs. So, if your pup’s shampoo has it listed as an ingredient, it’s best to throw it out!
Your dog’s age has a big influence on what shampoo you can use to give them a good scrub. Generally, older dogs and puppies have softer, more sensitive skin than their adult counterparts.
Because a puppy’s skin is so delicate, you won’t need to start giving them baths until they reach three months old. And, when you do eventually introduce bathing into their routine, you’ll need to use puppy shampoo or one that is safe for all ages.
Getting your Golden Retriever puppy used to the bath will also help you in the long run! Most dogs agree that just hearing the word ‘bath’ is enough to send shivers down their spine. But when you’re using one of the best shampoos for Golden Retrievers, you can make bath day a more enjoyable experience for everyone!
Although Goldens are prone to skin conditions, there aren’t many shampoos for Golden Retrievers that address the issue head-on. For mild to moderate conditions, you can usually get away with picking a shampoo that has natural ingredients like almond oil, aloe, or oatmeal to soothe dry skin.
But if your Golden Retriever suffers from severe, long-term skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema, you’ll want to opt for a medicated shampoo instead. In this case, you’ll also want to skip shampoos with natural oils, as some essential oils with high concentrations can worsen skin problems.
What can I use to wash my Golden Retriever?
You can wash your Golden Retriever using tepid or lukewarm water and a dog shampoo of your choice. Remember, it’s important to pick the right shampoo for the best results.
Some shampoos may worsen skin conditions or cause an allergic reaction, so read the ingredients carefully! There are also dog shampoos that aren’t safe to use on puppies or older dogs, so be sure to consult with your local veterinarian if you’re unsure.
How to keep Golden Retriever’s coat shiny?
Golden Retrievers are known for their lustrous golden coats. But after a while, their fur may begin to look dull and lifeless. To keep your pup’s coat shiny and healthy, it’s recommended to brush them every few days. Regular baths with good dog shampoo will also help to eliminate shedding, hydrate their skin and coat, and restore their hair’s natural sheen.
How often should you bathe a Golden Retriever?
Ideally, you should bathe your Golden Retriever around once every six to eight weeks. However, you may need to wash your doggo more often if they’re particularly active. The best way to know when to bathe your pet is to check the dog’s skin and fur for dust and dirt.
You may also notice that they are scratching more than usual, which could mean they need a bath to get rid of any nasty grime that’s sticking to their skin. Of course, you can also use the tried-and-true sniff test. If your dog is smelly, it’s probably time for a wash!
Now that you know exactly what your Golden Retriever needs to enhance its bath routine, don’t be afraid to let your pup get a little extra dirty on your next walk. It will only give you a better chance to test out your new products and see for yourself just how amazing these shampoos are!