Goldendoodles are known for their gorgeous luscious coats that either take after the Poodle’s curls or the Retriever’s gentle waves. Luckily, these dogs are not major shedders, but your pet’s coat will need a wash and some freshening up from time to time.
This is why buying the best shampoo for Goldendoodles, and a top-quality conditioner is so important. This guide will tell you everything you need to know about coat conditioners for your Goldendoodle.
Table of Contents
- 1 10 of the Best Conditioners for Goldendoodles
- 1.1 1. Best Overall: John Paul Oatmeal Conditioning Rinse
- 1.2 2. Best Value: Earthbath Oatmeal And Aloe Conditioner
- 1.3 3. Best For Dog’s Coat: Everyday Isle of Dogs Silky Coating Dog Conditioner, Jasmine & Vanilla
- 1.4 4. Best for Dog’s Skin: Burt’s Bees Natural Hydrating Conditioner
- 1.5 5. A Good Alternative for Skin and Hair: Kibble Pet Grooming Hypoallergenic Conditioner
- 1.6 6. Best for Bulk Buying: Top Performance Fresh Pet Conditioner
- 1.7 7. Best for Itchy Skin or Allergies: Lillian Ruff Conditioner and Detangler Spray
- 1.8 8. Best for Knots and Tangles: Vet’s Best Moisture Mist Conditioner
- 1.9 9. A Good Alternative for Knots and Tangles: Bobbi Panter Natural Nourishing Dog Conditioner
- 1.10 10. Best for Long Coats: Sofee & Co. Natural Oatmeal Conditioner
- 2 How to Choose the Best Conditioner for Your Goldendoodle: Buyers Guide
- 3 FAQ
- 4 Final Thoughts
10 of the Best Conditioners for Goldendoodles
Most people don’t put much thought into dog shampoo and conditioner, especially when they are faced with various products that all sound the same. We understand how challenging it can be to go through all of the ingredients and understand what’s what. This is why the team at barksinthepark.co have done some research to make your life easier.
Proper care and maintenance are essential for keeping your Goldendoodles coat shiny and clean. This doesn’t only mean that you need a good conditioner. You should also have the best scissors for your Goldendoodle and other top-quality tools. Your fur baby deserves the best grooming treatment!
The following conditioning products are some of the best on the market:
1. Best Overall: John Paul Oatmeal Conditioning Rinse
John Paul Mitchell is an eco-friendly, cruelty-free line of shampoos and conditioners. John Paul Mitchell also sells pet wipes, sprays, and of course, high-quality dog shampoo and conditioner.
The formula for their conditioner includes a soothing sensitive skin formula that revitalizes and moisturizes your Goldendoodle’s skin and fur. All of the products from John Paul Mitchell also feature healthy and gentle ingredients that are great for your dog’s sensitive skin.
The Oatmeal Conditioning Rinse moisturizes and soothes your Goldendoodle’s skin. It has a refreshing and light almond scent, so your doggo will smell ultra fresh. It is also great for knots and tangles. This is one of the best conditioners as it is affordable and effective.
- Made with vitamin E to revitalize and protect fur and skin
- Made with natural and highly concentrated botanicals.
- Soothes dry and itchy skin
- Makes their coat more manageable
- No phthalate, animal ingredients, or parabens
- Easy to wash off
- Can be harsh on certain Goldendoodles coats
- Not a tears-free conditioner
- Not suitable for all skin types
2. Best Value: Earthbath Oatmeal And Aloe Conditioner
Earth bath and its amazing pet products have been around for years. Their whole line is produced in the US and is cruelty-free. The company was founded in San Francisco by Paul Armstrong, who produced an effective and all-natural dog shampoo at first.
All of Earthbaths products are specifically formulated to meet your dog’s needs, from itch relief, doggy odor, skin sensitivity, and cleaning and conditioning. Their formulas do not use a lot of water, and the company is very focused on efficient shipping methods and reducing its carbon footprint.
Their products are properly crafted using natural ingredients, and they use renewable plant-derived essential oils, coconut-based cleansers, and extracts. Their products are safe for dog skin and have been human-tested but pet approved. They also sell the best Shampoo for Goldendoodles.
- Gentle and non-toxic
- The bottle can be recycled
- No gluten, soap, or DEA
- Almond and vanilla fragrance
- Enriches, detangles, and revives your pet’s coat
- The smell could be better
3. Best For Dog’s Coat: Everyday Isle of Dogs Silky Coating Dog Conditioner, Jasmine & Vanilla
This dog shampoo and conditioner results in a manageable, soft, and smooth coat. The Everyday Isle of Dogs Silky Coating conditioner is a deep-penetrating product that ensures your pup’s coat and skin benefit. It also has a warm floral jasmine and vanilla scent that both you and your pup will love.
This conditioner moisturizes your pup’s hair, removes loose hair during bath time, and makes it easy to comb and manage. Your pup’s coat will look clean, healthy, and shiny.
This product releases a dead coat after shedding on long-coated dogs and can flatten their shorter coats. It’s great for hair that is prone to tangling and can help reduce shedding. Their dog shampoo, conditioner, and other products are perfectly balanced.
- Eliminates unwanted odors from your pup’s coat
- Has a spray-on alternative
- Not the best for dogs with allergy problems
4. Best for Dog’s Skin: Burt’s Bees Natural Hydrating Conditioner
This conditioner will have heads turning as your pup struts its stuff through the streets or at the park. Burt’s Bees Natural Hydrating Conditioner nourishes and revitalizes the coat to make it look much shinier and healthier. It is also very effective at detangling matted hair. This product is 100% safe, making it perfect for Doodles with allergies and skin problems.
It is a gentle spray conditioner made with olive oil and avocado oil. These oils untangle knots and mats and naturally nourish your dog’s skin. It is also very easy to use, simply spray it on your dog’s skin and let it dry.
It is a leave-in conditioner spray that works well for most dogs and is recommended by the vet. Plus, it’s cruelty-free, pH-balanced, fragrant-free, and colorant free.
- The brand’s dog shampoo and conditioners use naturally extracted ingredients
- No colorants and chemicals
- Their Goldendoodle shampoo and conditioner nourish dry skin
- Contains Omega-3s and vitamin E for shed control
- Easy to use
- Does not protect your dog from fleas and ticks
- Not scented
5. A Good Alternative for Skin and Hair: Kibble Pet Grooming Hypoallergenic Conditioner
Kibble Pet Grooming Hypoallergenic Conditioner is formulated to enhance the natural radiance and shine of your Goldendoodles coat’s using organic ingredients.
This dog shampoo and conditioner has been formulated with top-quality materials that give your dog that salon-level treatment. This product is so good it will make you feel like a professional groomer. The product is hypoallergenic and 100% safe for most Goldendoodles.
Aloe vera is one of the main ingredients, and it hydrates the skin and soothes it. This conditioner moisturizes, nourishes, and soothes the coat while softening it. This is thanks to organic sesame seed oil, organic coconut, and organic argan oil.
This product has been expertly crafted to deliver salon quality and human-grade performance without the use of chemicals.
- Contains aloe vera, coconut and argan oil, and organic sesame seed oil, which benefit the hair follicles and skin
- Keeps hair healthy
- pH balanced
- Free from parabens, SLS, harsh soaps, toxins, petroleum, and grains
- Oil ingredients may cause irritation for dogs with bad allergies and very sensitive skin
6. Best for Bulk Buying: Top Performance Fresh Pet Conditioner
Top Performance Fresh Pet Conditioner gives your Goldendoodles coat that extra luster. It works well with the Top Performance Pet Shampoo, but it is highly effective along with any other good quality dog shampoo.
This product promotes easier combing as it reduces tangled and matting after regular use. This rich formula has a long-lasting fragrance and keeps your pup’s coat looking fresh and clean.
This conditioner comes in 1, 2.5, and 5 gallons – making it the best conditioner to buy if you’re looking to stock up on a lot of product.
- Results in a natural shine due to the rich formula
- Long-lasting fragrance
- Comes in up to 5-gallon bottles
- The fragrance is not a very distinct scent
7. Best for Itchy Skin or Allergies: Lillian Ruff Conditioner and Detangler Spray
The Lillian Ruff Conditioner and Detangler spray keeps your Goldendoodles coat looking clean and shiny. It has a spray-on feature, making it very easy to apply without causing a big mess (we know how chaotic bath time can be at times).
You also do not need to rinse this conditioner off again, so you can apply it, and your pup will be left with a silky smooth coat, and it will smell super fresh.
Give the bottle a good shake before using it and then spray it onto your dog’s coat and comb it as you go. You want to cover as much coat as you possibly can while brushing their knotted and matted hairs.
This gentle conditioner is great for all skin types as it does not contain any harsh chemicals. It prevents skin irritation and is 100% dog-safe. The scent is also subtle but fresh, so your pup will continue to smell amazing long after bath day. They have used a high-quality formula to make this product, and it is tear-free.
- Proven to be gentle on your dog’s skin
- Does not contain harsh ingredients or added chemicals
- Does not cause inflammation or irritation
- Sulfate-free, vegan, paraben-free, gluten-free, and no aerosol
- Not recommended that you use it on your dog when their coat is wet as it can become sticky
8. Best for Knots and Tangles: Vet’s Best Moisture Mist Conditioner
Vet’s Best Moisture Mist Conditioner is fantastic, providing instant relief to itchy, dry, and irritated skin. You can also opt for the leave-in spray option, which is great for targeting specific affected areas.
This spray conditioner is great for tangles and knots and also has no effect on products you may be using for pests and fleas. You can apply as much as you want or need, and you don’t have to stress about over-washing.
It offers moisturizing relief and is made using only natural ingredients. This veterinarian blend consists of aloe, sage, vitamin B5, cucumber, and skin conditioners. Your pup’s coat will look and feel better as it adds luster to its coat and detangles. You can use this product every day or after baths. It is best to apply it directly to their affected areas.
- Great for detangling matted fur and hair
- Keeps hair strong and healthy
- Avoids frizz
- Adds luster to make the coat look flawless and shiny
- Feels sticky when you first apply it
- Be careful when using it on sensitive skins
9. A Good Alternative for Knots and Tangles: Bobbi Panter Natural Nourishing Dog Conditioner
All Bobbi Panter products are tear and salt-free. They consist of gentle ingredients that are suitable for daily bathing, shampooing, and conditioning. Another bonus is that the brand is cruelty-free.
Loads of pet parents and pet groomers swear by this product as it helps with messy, itchy, stinky, and scratchy dog coat problems.
This amazing Goldendoodle conditioner features chamomile, oatmeal, aloe vera, and rosemary. It is also very high in effective essential oils that penetrate your dog’s fur and skin. This conditioner works well with Bobbi Panther’s high-quality dog shampoos.
- Fresh, clean scent
- Made with essential oils
- Delicious sea fragrance
- De-matts and detangles
- Enriches and moisturizes a dog’s skin
- Highly concentrated
- Easy for grooming
- It is quite pricey
10. Best for Long Coats: Sofee & Co. Natural Oatmeal Conditioner
The Sofee & Co. Natural Oatmeal Conditioner is one of the most popular conditioners. It is highly effective, especially on pooches with long coats. This conditioner provides relief for flakiness, dry skin patches, and itchiness. The formula does not include any harsh chemicals, and it is perfectly safe for dogs.
It is an excellent product for softening, detangling, and moisturizing your pup’s skin and coat. Their premium natural formula promises soft and healthy skin. The scent is light but fresh, and you can smell hints of hyacinth, lemon bergamot freesia peony, and jasmine lily.
- Good for removing knots and tangles
- Made using premium ingredients
- Keeps fur looking healthy
- No phthalates, parabens, sulfates, or artificial colors
- It can be hard to rinse off
- Does not lather well
How to Choose the Best Conditioner for Your Goldendoodle: Buyers Guide
With so many conditioners that are specifically designed for Goldendoodles, how can you be sure that you are choosing the right one for your fur baby?
Here is our guide on what you should look out for when choosing the right conditioner for your Goldendoodle:
While natural ingredients can be gentler on the skin and beneficial for some dogs, it’s essential to remember that not all natural ingredients are safe for dogs.
Thus, it’s crucial that pet parents read ingredient labels carefully and do research before applying any product to their dog’s skin.
Look for conditioners that contain naturally derived ingredients. Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, and synthetic fragrances as these can cause allergic reactions.
If your pup is showing problematic signs and symptoms after using a conditioner, consult a vet.
The scent is a very important factor. And, of course, the whole point of bathing, shampooing, and conditioning your pup is to make them look clean and smell fresh. However, you can’t just choose any scent.
You want to choose a conditioner with a mild, pleasant scent that won’t overwhelm your Goldendoodle’s sense of smell.
The health of your dog should be your very first priority, so sometimes it may be best to go for scents that are more gentle and not artificial.
In today’s world, it is better to be sustainable and eco-friendly. Most dog conditioners and shampoos tend to be very toxic to the environment (even human shampoo and conditioner are bad). Choosing a product that is eco-friendly will not only benefit you and your pup but also the environment.
Also, be sure to choose a conditioner that is cruelty-free!
The pH level of a pup’s hair and skin is neutral. This means that the perfect conditioner must have a level near 7. This is very close to neutral.
Avoid products with a pH that is too high or low, as this can cause dryness, irritation, and other skin problems.
Do Goldendoodles need conditioner?
Not every Goldendoodle has the same skin, and some may require more conditioning than others do. But yes, your Goldendoodle does need conditioner. Conditioner is highly effective and can keep your dog’s coat looking healthy, smooth, and shiny. It can also be very good for getting out knots and tangles, as well as moisturizing sensitive skin and itchy skin.
Can I use human conditioner on my Goldendoodle?
You should never use human shampoo or conditioner on your dog. Dogs have completely different fur and skin from us, especially regarding pH levels and allergies. Using human conditioner on your dog is a terrible idea as the chemical makeup of their skin and hair is so different from ours.
Their natural acid oil balance is very different, and human products can lead to imbalances and irritations for dogs.
What is a natural conditioner for dogs?
Some people prefer using natural conditioners instead of using store-bought products. Coconut oil can be very effective at preventing flaking and adding moisture to your Goldendoodles skin.
It has a light touch on your dog’s skin and can freshen up its coat. You can run a bit of oil into your hands and then pat your dog’s coat, run your fingers through their hair, and massage it down onto their skin as well.
Note that this does not constitute pet medical advice, and it is always best to get in touch with the vet before using products on your dog, no matter how natural they are.
With hundreds of products available on the market, it can be challenging to find the perfect one for your dog. While some products are excellent, others can be harmful.
But thanks to our list, pet parents can rest assured that they’ll be picking the best conditioner for their pooch, ensuring they’re clean, happy, and healthy!
Your Groodle is famous for its beautiful coat, so make sure that you care for it and maintain it so that your furry friend’s luscious hair can continue to be the talk of the town!