Are you considering bringing a cuddly Goldendoodle puppy or rescue into your home? You probably have a lot of different questions about your new canine companion, and if you are an avid runner, one of these questions might be, “how fast can a Goldendoodle run?”.
Well, you’re in luck! In this article, we will look at how fast Doodles can run and whether these adorable dogs make great running partners. We will also give you some tips and trips on running with your dog. Don’t forget to check out our website for more advice on this wonderful breed and many others.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Fast Can a Goldendoodle Run?
- 2 Is it Healthy For A Goldendoodle to Run?
- 3 Is a Goldendoodle a Good Running Partner?
- 4 Things To Keep In Mind When Running With A Goldendoodle
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Final Thoughts
How Fast Can a Goldendoodle Run?
We can use the running speed of the parent dog breeds to determine how fast a Doodle can run.
A Standard Poodle can run about 30 miles per hour, while a Golden Retriever can reach up to 35 miles per hour.
Using this as an indication, you can expect your Goldendoodle to run between 30 to 35 miles an hour at its top speed.
The percentage of Poodle and Golden Retriever will play a role in how fast your Groodle is, and Mini Goldendoodles will not reach speeds as fast as Standard Goldendoodles.
However, since both parent breeds are pretty fast, dog owners can expect their Doodle pup to be pretty fast, too, once it gets going!
Is it Healthy For A Goldendoodle to Run?
Just like how running is healthy for people, getting the legs moving, and blood pumping is beneficial for your pup too.
Running can help your Goldendoodle to develop muscles, improve cardiovascular strength, and can get rid of excess energy so that they are not destructive at home.
Of course, moderation is important, and you also need to consider the age of your dog. Goldendoodle puppies should not go for runs as their growth plates are still developing, and it could lead to injury.
You also need to check on your dog while you are running with them and pay attention to their levels of exhaustion – don’t immediately take them for a 10-mile run!
Is a Goldendoodle a Good Running Partner?
Goldendoodles have lots of energy when they are young adults, which means that they are the perfect running partner! They love to go running, and it is a great way to get rid of extra energy – especially if they are home alone all day while their owners are at work.
People need around 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week, and this is the perfect opportunity for pet owners to improve their own health, help their Goldendoodle maintain a healthy weight, and have some crucial bonding time with their dog.
You should always consult with your vet before starting your dog on a strenuous running program, but generally speaking, a fit dog will be able to run or walk as far as its owners do.
Running will help you and your dog connect and will also help your Doodle remain healthy and happy. Their high levels of energy make them the perfect running companion.
Why are Goldendoodles good dogs for running?
If you are a runner looking for a dog, you won’t regret getting a Goldendoodle. Not only does this hybrid breed love running, but there are some other factors that make them the perfect running buddies:
Intelligent and easy to train
You will realize right from the start that your Goldendoodle is highly intelligent and learns new commands very quickly. They also love to please and make their owners happy, which means they are incredibly trainable.
Proper training is very important before you take your dog for a run. This is because there are a lot of distractions on a run, and you do not want your dog to dash off in front of a car or start chasing a fellow runner.
Start training your puppy from a young age while out on short walks, and make sure they obey your commands and have excellent recall before going for long runs off leash.
Goldendoodles are naturally good runners, meaning they can easily run short and long distances. This is an active breed and would prefer to be out adventuring rather than lying in bed all day.
Whether you are going to the dog park, for a hike, or for a long, slow run, you will realize that your Goldendoodle is ready for it all!
A trait inherited from their Golden Retriever parent, Goldendoodles are incredibly friendly and enjoy socializing with other dogs and people.
Your furry friend will love meeting fellow runners on the trails and gets on well with every creature they meet. This amazing trait means you do not have to worry about dog aggression or your Doodle storming up to a stranger with its hackles raised.
How Often Can You Take Your Goldendoodle Running?
The frequency of your runs will depend on the age and weight of your dog.
Young pups and senior dogs should not run too much, as it can result in injuries. Start running short distances with your Doodle when it is a young adult, and steadily increase its fitness.
A good rule is to run around 30 minutes three times a week.
Even if your dog is fit and healthy, always check on them during your runs to make sure they are not over-exerting themselves.
Things To Keep In Mind When Running With A Goldendoodle
Although dogs are natural athletes and enjoy running, there are certain things to keep in mind when starting to run with your Goldendoodle.
- Don’t start too intensely. Training your dog to run comfortably on a leash or near you will take time. Start slow with short runs of 10 to 15 minutes and evaluate how your dog is performing. Increase the distance, and the speed of the runs as your dog gets used to them.
- Always warm up before a run, even if your dog is bounding around full of energy. Start with a brisk walk for a few minutes before progressing into a run. At the end of your run, cool down by walking for a few minutes as well.
- Make sure to take water along on the run or run a route where there are water sources. This is especially important on warm and sunny days.
- Don’t run on the tarmac on hot days. Place the back of your hand on the tarmac to check the temperature. If it is too hot for you, it will be too hot for your dog’s feet.
- If you are going for a long run or a hike, take a first aid kit along.
- Do not take a young puppy for a run. It can cause injury and joint problems.
- Older dogs should still be exercised, but rather take them for leisurely walks as strenuous exercise can result in injury.
How far can a Goldendoodle run?
Goldendoodles are natural runners; however, the distance they can run will depend on their age, health, weight, and fitness levels.
Generally, you can take your Goldendoodle for a 30-minute run three times a week.
When should I not run with my Goldendoodle?
- Do not run during hot weather. It can cause both you and your dog to become dehydrated or suffer from heat stroke. It is best to run in the early morning or late afternoon or wait for cooler weather.
- Avoid rough terrain. Although your dog has padded paws, its paws can still get injured on rough terrain. Uneven terrain can also potentially result in injuries should they slip or trip.
- Do not run near traffic. Goldendoodles have plenty of energy and may decide that chasing cars is an incredibly fun game.
What makes a dog a good running companion?
- High-energy breeds make for good running partners.
- Dogs that are intelligent with a need to please their owners are great running companions because they are easy to train.
- A sociable dog that enjoys meeting new people and dogs are great for running as it will make the experience more fun for everyone.
- A good running buddy is a dog who wants to spend time with his owners and is keen on adventures.
Goldendoodles can run at a top speed of 30 to 35 miles an hour. However, they cannot sustain this speed for a long distance.
This breed enjoys running and can make the perfect running partner for an active owner.
If you enjoyed this guide, read our post on how many puppies Goldendoodles have to learn more about this beautiful breed.